European Master in Animal Breeding and Genetics
Application and admission
Are you interested in animal breeding? Do you have a passion for genetics? Do you enjoy working in a truly international environment? Then you are the right candidate for the European master's in Animal Breeding and Genetics!
The EMABG MSc course is open for motivated students with a background in Animal Sciences, Biology or related fields, who like to specialise in the field of Animal Breeding and Genetics.
How to apply
Application deadline for EU scholarships: February 15th 2019
If you are interested in applying for the EMABG, please check if you meet the requirements below:
- Awarded Bachelor of Science Degree (min. 180 ECTS) in animal science. An equivalent degree from related fields, such as agricultural sciences, veterinary medicine, zoology, botany, microbiology or similar is also accepted, if basics of genetics or animal breeding knowledge is documented in the transcript of records.
- Language Proficiency: A good knowledge of English is a prerequisite for application. Students are required to pass a TOEFL exam, except native speakers or students having previously completed an English-taught bachelor’s programme, which has to be confirmed in writing. The result of the internet-based TOEFL has to be at least 92. An alternative is a minimum score of 7.0 from an IELTS test (with a minimum of 6.0 in the subscore “speaking”). Equivalent tests (like school leaving exams or GPA of 70% on a scale of 100) might be accepted after explicit approval by the selection committee.
- Application received before the end of the deadline
- Application containing all requested elements
Documents required to apply
- Copy of your diploma/degree certificate (add an English translation if applicable)
- Copy of transcript of records for your whole degree (add grading scale and an English translation if applicable)
- Copy of official language certificate attesting language skills in English
- Curriculum Vitae in European format
- Motivation letter including the study track preference
- Copy of your passport, including your photo
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Certificate of current residence
Students will be selected jointly each year for the 2-year programme by the EMABG selection committee during the annual meeting approx. two weeks after the application deadline. All complete applications that meet the admission criteria will be considered in the student selection. The eligible applications will be evaluated according to four selection criteria:
- Academic excellence including English language skills (final score share 40%)
- Motivation letter (final score share 25%)
- Work experience/professional qualifications/CV (final score share 25%) and
- Recommendation letters (final score share 10%).
Each application is evaluated according to the selection criteria, with scoring in the range of 1 (worst) to 10 (best). The partial scores are weighted based on the final score shares and summed up. Based on these evaluations a provisional ranking is produced. Whenever two or more applicants have the same score, the one with higher academic excellence will be placed first. The selection procedure will aim to maintain gender balance and will apply equal opportunity principles.
Before sending the application, please make sure you have digital copies (PDF format) of the following documents:
- Diploma/Certificate of degree: certificate providing the obtained degree – must be issued by the university where the degree was obtained, dated, signed and stamped, otherwise it will not be considered valid. Please add an English translation if your documents are not in English.
- Transcript of records: Must be issued by the university, stating in details all taken courses and obtained grades, as well as grading scale and average grade. This document must be dated, signed and stamped, otherwise it will not be considered valid. Please note that you must upload the transcript of records regarding all the years of your course. Please add an English translation if your documents are not in English.
- Language skills: Provide a certificate (IELTS, TOEFL) of your English skills if your mother tongue is not English or you did not complete an English taught study programme before
- Curriculum Vitae: your document must be in an European format
- Letter of motivation
- Recommendation letters and references: please upload 2 reference letters from former professors or employers supporting your application
Send all documents as a single zip file with your full name to the emabg(at)boku.ac.at email. All applicants receive a short response mail about the receipt.
Applicants might be asked to upload the documents once again to an online platform, which should be available from mid-December onwards.